Friday, February 26, 2010

16-bit to 8-bit

I mentioned this in passing on a forum today, and wanted to elaborate a little. If you choose to edit your images in 16-bit mode, then of course you need to convert to 8-bit for printing at the end. Your final steps for printing probably include: > Flatten layers > Crop/resize > Convert to 8-bit > Sharpen > Save Now, the order of some of those steps is flexible. You could resize before flattening, for example. Some people say it's important to sharpen while still in 16-bit, and they're probably right (I haven't checked). The big thing I want to discuss right now is this: You must flatten your layers BEFORE converting to 8-bit. I can't emphasise this enough. If you convert your image to 8-bit while adjustment layers are still present and active, then you might as well have been working in 8-bit from the very beginning. All benefit of 16-bit is discarded. Adjustment layers must be committed to the image (by merging with the background layer) before conversion. I'll try to show you what I mean ... Here's a simple gradient I created in a 16-bit document: Then I made a Levels adjustment layer, and made a very aggressive contrast adjustment to it. If this file had been 8-bit, the banding would have been visible. But because it's 16-bit, it's fine: I'll zoom in to 200% so we can see a bit clearer. Remember, this is a gradient with an aggressive adjustment, but because it's 16-bit, it's very clean: Ok, for this one, I flattened the layers first, then converted to 8-bit. Still looks as clean as a whistle: But for this one, I converted to 8-bit, THEN flattened. This time we can see the banding/graininess that can occur when editing 8-bit images: If you found yourself peering closely to try to notice that banding, you're not alone. I did too. It's there, but it's not awful. That's a huge adjustment for not much banding. The fact is, 8-bit is much safer than some people would have you believe. You can do pretty awful things to an 8-bit file without causing problems that anybody would notice. I'll say what I've always said - as long as you make your major tonal adjustments in Raw, and just tweaks in Photoshop, 8-bit is absolutely fine*. However, if you do work in 16-bit, please heed my advice, and don't undo all your good work by converting too early. * If you work in ProPhoto RGB, or LAB mode, 16-bit is an absolute necessity. 8-bit wide-gamut data can band if you even breathe on it. Your output process will include conversion to sRGB (or a print profile), which should occur after flattening but before bit depth conversion.

Comments or Questions?

If you have anything to add or ask about this article, please visit me at my Ask Damien page.