Saturday, September 4, 2010

A fun effect

I saw somebody ask about this effect on a forum, and I thought it might be fun to play. I can't imagine anybody will ever use it, but hey, it's the weekend, why not mess around? Before: After: Start by making a Gradient layer: By default it will probably give you a black-and-white gradient ... ... but you can choose a rainbow instead: I also changed the angle and the scale a bit: Now the image looks like this: Play around with the layer blend modes. You'll probably choose "Color" mode. Also adjust the opacity if necessary: Now make a Solid Color layer: And choose black: Invert the mask on that layer from white to black, to hide the black colour on the image: Then choose an enormous soft brush, and gently paint with white on the mask around the edges to add that aggressive vignette: Voila!

Comments or Questions?

If you have anything to add or ask about this article, please visit me at my Ask Damien page.