Monday, October 25, 2010

Shift while brushing

I have been surprised to discover that not everybody knows about the Shift key.

Lol!  Obviously everyone knows about the Shift key.  What I mean is, not everyone uses it in conjunction with their Brush Tool, particularly while masking.

The principle is perfectly simple - try it yourself and see.  Take your brush tool, and click once to paint a dot somewhere on your image.  Then hold down the Shift key and click somewhere else.  The Brush Tool will automatically draw a straight line between one point and the other.


Now, I guess you mightn't have to paint straight lines all that often, but gradual curved lines are a fairly frequent matter, at least for me.  For example, if I'm masking around someone's body, the Shift key is my best friend.  Rather than trying to paint the mask freehand, I can do it much faster and easier with a series of Shift-clicks around the subject.


There were only three or four clicks in the above line, whilst holding down the Shift key.  In this way, I can mask around an entire person in lightning-fast time.  Once I've done the outline, I can easily fill in the rest of the mask with the Paint Bucket tool.

Comments or Questions?

If you have anything to add or ask about this article, please visit me at my Ask Damien page.