Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A handy little PC app

Well, I think it's a good time for another post. The kids are asleep for the night, and my wife got an iPod Touch today, so she's buried in that. I don't expect to see her for a few hours! (Although I find it fundamentally abhorrent to have an Apple device in the house, I must admit it looks like a cool gadget!) I was talking to a Forum Friend yesterday, who was having trouble saving a file. She was getting RAM errors when trying to save a jpeg image. Admittedly it was a big image, but her computer has RAM coming out its ears, and plenty was allocated to Photoshop, it seemed. Anyway, I invariably flounder when it comes to system-related issues, and this was no different. I embarrassed myself by making a lot of stupidly obvious suggestions that she had already tried herself, to no avail. I was ready to throw in the towel, but then I suggested this handy little program: CleanUp! by Steven Gould It's a free app that a Tech guy put me onto a few years ago. It does what it suggests - it cleans all the muck out of your Windows system. It worked! My friend was able to save her file. There were happy dances all round. I highly recommend this program. I run it once a month, and it really helps my system speed.

Comments or Questions?

If you have anything to add or ask about this article, please visit me at my Ask Damien page.