Friday, March 2, 2012

Jpegs in ACR (Elements)

I don't know why it's taken me so long to write this simple post!

Photoshop Elements has been able to open Jpegs in Camera Raw for quite a few versions now (since V6, maybe?).  It's very easy to do, as I'll show you.

First, let me reiterate - I can take my cat to a zoo, but that doesn't make it a tiger!  Likewise, you can open Jpegs in a Raw program, but that doesn't make them Raw files!  Editing a Jpeg in ACR is fun, but it's still a Jpeg.  If you want real control and flexibility when editing, shoot Raw.  [/rant]

First, go to File>Open As:


At the bottom, change the format to "Camera Raw":


Choose your image, and press "Open":


Voila!  There it is in ACR:


Do your editing, then press "Open Image" to bring it into Elements for further work.

Comments or Questions?

If you have anything to add or ask about this article, please visit me at my Ask Damien page.